Thursday, June 20, 2013

Think It Thursday: Benefits of Gardening

Gardening is fairly new to me. Instead of a green thumb, I had a brown thumb for many years. Seriously. I mean, I've killed an air fern before, that should say something. But now I find myself not only keeping things alive, but growing them from seeds. Which is great because gardening really is beneficial.

A few starters: Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, green onions & marigolds. Unfortunately the pesky squirrels raided my corn when I had to move my plants due to a storm.

Not only is it great exercise (all those weeds are good for something), but it's also a great stress reliever. Actually, it's one of the main ways I keep a bit of my sanity.

I think this is what my hubby's Grandma calls a Tiger Lily. I'm completely clueless when it comes to flowers, but I managed to keep this one around even though it looked like a weed to me.

Then of course there's the saving money part. If you have a vegetable garden, not only can you grow your own organic goodies, but you can also save a ton from your grocery budget. Even more so if you're able to can &/or freeze any excess.

 
Cucumbers have made it to the garden! Fingers crossed they all grow. Especially since this was all just a patch of grass a couple weeks ago.
And let's not forget the sheer satisfaction of actually growing something. Especially if you have children involved in the planting, watering & harvesting process. That family togetherness extends from the garden to the dining room table. And they might be a bit more likely to try something that they helped grow themselves.

What's your favorite thing about gardening?

No comments:

Post a Comment