Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Eggplant Parmesan

I never thought I would hear such a request. Especially from my 7 year old, who used to share her utter disgust over this dish. Until I tweaked my recipe that is. Now I hear, "Mom, when are you going to make Eggplant Parmesan again?".


How To:

•bread crumbs
•Italian seasoning (or just basil &/or oregano)
•parsley
•ground black pepper
•egg
•splash of water
•flour
•seasoned salt
•paprika
•eggplant, sliced
•oil for frying
•mozzarella or provolone cheese
•marinara
•crushed red pepper
•sugar
•pasta, cooked to desired doneness & drained

*Use desired amounts of ingredients

•Mix together bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, parsley & black pepper in a shallow dish.
•In separate shallow dishes, mix together egg with a splash of water, & flour with seasoned salt & paprika.
•Thoroughly dredge eggplant slices in flour mixture, followed by egg wash mixture & bread crumbs.
•Flash fry both sides in hot oil until crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
•Top with a spoonful of marinara & mozzarella or provolone cheese (or both). Place in a 350 degree preheated oven until cheese is melted.
•While cheese is melting, combine pasta (I'm a fan of penne with my eggplant) & marinara. Heat through.
•Add "secret ingredients" of crushed red pepper & sugar until you have the perfect blend of slightly sweet with a little spice. (Compliments the eggplant perfectly!)
•Serve eggplant over pasta with a side of garlic bread & salad (if desired).
•Enjoy! 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment