Saturday, April 20, 2013

Snacktastic Saturday: No Bake Almond Raisin "Granola" Bars

I know it may come as a surprise, but I found a recipe on Pinterest that I just had to try. Shocking, I know. Chewy S'mores Granola Bars (no bake) sounded simple to make, & better yet, I had all of the ingredients. Not to mention how big of a hit they would be with the kiddos!

I knew they would be good when I snuck a pinch while I was packing them into the pan. No way was there going to be enough to share between us all for a few days. But that was OK, I wanted something slightly...healthier. So I started scouring the cupboards to see what I could come up with.


I didn't have quite enough of a couple ingredients to make another batch, so I made a few substitutions.

•Instead of 2 C. oats & 1 C. rice cereal, I probably used 1 1/4 C. oats & 1 3/4 C. rice cereal. As long as it equaled 3 C. I was satisfied.
•I had virtually no honey left, but I did have some Agave Nectar. The syrup just seemed like it cooked a bit faster than with the honey.

And since I wanted it a bit healthier, I added some raisins & crushed almonds into the mix. 


The end result was much better than the S'mores Bars in my opinion. I'm not sure if it was from the Agave Nectar or not, but these were definitely crunchier. The only downfall being that they were much harder to cut into uniform shapes. But I had no problem munching on the crumbs (I even saved some in a Ziploc baggie to add to my morning cereal.)

No comments:

Post a Comment