Monday, April 22, 2013

Messy Monday: DIY Liquid Fabric Softener

Of course after we made our DIY Laundry Detergent we had to make some liquid fabric softener too.

After scouring for a recipe to use, I decided to give a few a try. After trial & error, I found that they just weren't working for me. I prefer the baking soda & vinegar solution, but with far less baking soda. The reason being that I add my fabric softener when I add my laundry, which gives the baking soda time to settle. 


How To:
• Using a sturdy container (I use a Sunny D jug), add desired amount  of baking soda . Start small, you can always add more later if you'd like.
• Add enough hot water to almost dissolve the baking soda. Set aside 15-20 minutes.
• In batches, add vinegar & give it a good shake. You can keep the lid covered with a towel so that when you release some of the pressure it doesn't spray everywhere (been there, done that). Just be sure to leave plenty of room for the pressure to build (found that one out the hard way too).
•1/4 C. (or a little more if you'd like) per load.

*Note: You can add a bit of your favorite hair conditioner if you prefer a softener with a scent.

Sorry for the lack of measurements, but if you've been around here long enough you should know that's not really my thing. Besides the fact that everyone prefers their softener differently & this leaves (plenty) of room for adjustments. It also saves plenty of room in your wallet for all the money you'll be saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment