Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Fun Friday: Rice Heating Pad

I love making gifts for others. Especially when the kids help. Which is why i though I had the perfect gift for my FIL & his bad back. A rice heating pad would be the best gift! (Little did I know how much of a pain it would be, oh the irony!)

Let me set the record straight. It was only a pain for two reasons. First, it's all sewn by hand since I don't have a sewing machine. Second, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, let alone needle & thread. That said, the second reason led to the first reason being done multiple times. 


I had the pillowcases leftover from an old set of flannel sheets, so I thought they would be perfect with their outdoorsy theme. I took one pillowcase, folded it in half lengthwise & cut. I stitched together the open long side, leaving one short end for filling. But here is where my trouble started. Without thinking (obviously) I stitched what I had in half lengthwise again as a divider for the rice. Only I couldn't flip the fabric that way, so out came the trusty seam ripper. Because it was flannel, you could still see where the stitch I had just ripped out was. I decided to use that as a guide, but only kept it straight for about 2in. (I noticed that 6in. in). So I decided to keep it easy & place dividing seams the opposite way along the pattern. I wanted to make them smaller, but that whole straight line thing already had me defeated & i just wanted to finish the thing by this point. (My hands were begging for mercy!) So I ended up with three sections partially filled with rice, folded over the opening & stitched it shut.
 
I'll be honest, I wasn't very impressed with how the sections turned out since I wanted them lengthwise. But the kids had so much fun filling them with the rice & then playing the game "Who can pick up the most rice off the floor". Best yet, my FIL loved it & couldn't wait to use it on his...knee. I think i may have to attempt this again, but with the whole pillowcase if he's ever going to use it for his back (LOL).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment