Thursday, July 25, 2013

Think It Thursday: Kids & Separation Anxiety

It's almost time for back to school! Paige will be in 2nd grade & Damien will be in Pre-K. Which leaves me with just Hayden in the afternoon. Oh the things I will get done!

I even contemplated getting a family membership to the local YMCA. (We've put it off for far too long.) We could do a light lunch, head to the Y so mama can get in a little workout (with machines) while Hayden plays in the child care room, head home for a snack before her nap time & my extra cleaning time  till the bus comes. At least 2-3 days a week (the rest saved for appointments & errands). But then it dawned on me. There's no way Hayden would go for it. She's a little...attached. The only one of my kids to get like this. The older two couldn't have cared less (at least a majority of the time).


Since this is all new territory for me, I'm realizing I have no clue what to do. We try to leave her to socialize with other people for 5-10 minutes, mostly friends & family members. But on a bad day, even Grandma can't console her between cries for "Mama" & "Dad". Complete strangers at a place she's never been before without me in sight, forget it.

But I have to figure it out soon, because my hopes for a couple afternoon workouts a week would be good for both of us.

How do you help cope with a child's separation anxiety?

No comments:

Post a Comment