Monday, December 24, 2012

Acorn Squash with Candied Walnuts

It's almost Christmas! I have been looking forward to my Christmas dinner for a few days now...glazed ham, baked sweet potatoes with candied walnuts, garlic roasted green beans, homemade crescent rolls & Caesar salad. I can hardly wait now! Actually, the other day I couldn't wait. So I made something a bit close to one of the dishes...acorn squash with candied walnuts.


This is so easy to make! And the candied walnuts just give it a great taste. Of course, I'm sure you could use pecans too. Actually I know you can, I just didn't have any in my cupboard.

Start by washing & halving your squash. Then scoop out all the seeds & pulp, getting it as clean as you can. Place cut side down in a 9x13 glass dish & add enough water to cover bottom by about 1/2 inch. Cover with foil & place in a 350 degree oven until done. (The top will be soft if you press on it.) Your cooking times will vary by the size of your squash, but roughly you're looking at 40-60 minutes (give or take).


At some point make your candied walnuts. My favorite recipe to use is HERE. But as a helpful hint, I don't worry about separating them out too much before they cool. It's easier for me to just break the chunks later after they've cooled. And I usually sift some powdered sugar on top too.

Now all you need to do is assemble. Follow closely...acorn squash, dab of butter, bit of brown sugar (so I like my sugars, you will too when you try this) & then candied walnuts.

Now if you'll excuse me, I hear some candied walnuts calling my name from a cupboard in the kitchen.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment