This time of year, I love to eat soup. Especially for lunch. But of course, I'm a total soup snob & will only eat a handful of soups from a can. The rest of them better be homemade. Which leads me to my favorite French Onion Soup that I can whip up on about 15 minutes or less!
*Please use desired amounts, depending on your tastes & how much soup you intend to make.
• onions, peeled & sliced
• olive oil
• beef bouillon
• dried thyme
• salt & pepper
• shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
• Saute the sliced onions in olive oil, over medium heat, until they just begin to brown.
• Add desired amount of water & beef bouillon, bring to a boil.
• Reduce heat, add dried thyme, salt & pepper.
• Simmer for 5 min.
• Allow to cool slightly before placing in a bowl & topping with shredded Parmesan, if desired.
If you like your French Onion Soup "cafe style", place croutons in the bottom of an ovenproof bowl, top with soup & then a variety of cheeses such as mozzarella, Parmesan, provolone & Swiss. Broil until the cheeses are slightly browned & bubbly.