Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Great Coffee, Good Vibes, Pass It On

Ever notice that some things taste better from the cause behind them? OK, maybe not entirely. But it sounded good. Know what else sounds good? Coffee. But not just any coffee, Green Mountain Fair Trade Certified coffee. Can you even picture how excited I was when I got into the Green Mountain Coffee Fair Trade BzzCampaign? (There's that BzzAgent status coming up again.) Probably not, which is a good thing...for me. 

What is fair trade?
Fair trade is a movement which strives for fair treatment for farmers. In a fair trade agreement, farmers, who in other situations might be more susceptible to the will of the purchase, will negotiate with the purchasers in order to receive a fair price for their products.

Why is fair trade important?
Farmers who engage in fair trade also aim to pay their workers a fair price & engage in environmentally-friendly practices.

Green Mountain Coffee has been a leader in the fair trade movement for more than a decade. Translation: Providing you with a better cup of coffee & a better quality of life for coffee farmers in 10+ years. 

Want to know how it could get even better? Of course you do!



Great Coffee, Good Vibes, Pass It On
October was Fair Trade month, but it doesn't stop there. To celebrate the good vibes of fair trade, Green Mountain Coffee took Grace Potter to Columbia & Michael Franti to Sumatra to experience fair trade firsthand. To keep the celebration a celebration, Potter & Franti held concerts in New York (Potter) & Los Angeles (Franti) in October. I know you're wondering how all of this is relevant seeing as how it's November now. Well, Green Mountain is re-broadcasting the concerts!



Sadly Michael Franti's has already been re-broadcast, but you can catch Grace Potter's TONIGHT at 9:00 p.m. EST. Just head over to the Green Mountain Coffee Facebook page. While you're there, check out the photos taken from Grace Potter & Michael Franti's source trips & even snag a coupon for your favorite fair trade brew.



And while I'm at it, might I suggest my favorite fair trade brew, Sumatran Reserve. I often refer to this extra bold brew as "Heaven in a mug". I really do. Usually, I always have these K-Cups handy. But let's face it, some days are a 2 K-Cup day instead of 1!

"The farmers I met in Sumatra deepened my passion for fair trade & the incredible impact it can have on their quality of life. I'm hoping to inspire people everywhere to think about the difference they can make just by choosing to purchase fair trade products." ~Michael Franti

"During my trip to Columbia, I didn't just meet the coffee farmers, I met their children & families. Fair trade has truly brought a better quality of life to farming communities, from access to education to community development, & meeting with these people really opened my eyes to the impact fair trade has had on their lives." ~Grace Potter

Don't forget to follow Green Mountain Coffee on twitter!


No comments:

Post a Comment