Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Dinner...Zombie Style!

What do you get when you take a love of cooking & add a little twist of Halloween? Zombies. Not literally of course, just their dinner.

Appendage anyone?

So, on one of my many times perusing Pinterest, I came across a meatloaf hand. It was made with a mold & had some recipes. At least I think it did, I was fixated on the hand. Complete with fingernails & an exposed bone at the wrist. So I figured, how hard could it be?

I took a family favorite meatloaf recipe & molded it carefully into a hand shape on foil sprayed with cooking spray. (Easier to transfer & drain the grease that way.) Next, I tucked in some onion pieces for the fingernails & the rest of the small onion into a hole I made at the "wrist".


This is what it turned out as. Although I have to admit it looked more zombie-like raw. Now it looks more monster-ish.


Middle & ring fingers with Spaghetti Intestines (spaghetti & marinara) & Cauliflower Brains (huge chunks of fresh cooked cauliflower). My meal was complete. Although I couldn't help but think of Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom while I was eating my "brains".

So, about that meatloaf recipe. Mine is a slight variation of French's Crunchy Onion Meatloaf.

Zesty Onion Meatloaf

1-1/2 lbs. ground beef
1-2/3 C. fried onions (I prefer the cheddar ones)
1 C. marinara (Newman's Own makes a great one)
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
salt & pepper

Thoroughly mix beef, 1 C. fried onions, 1/3 C. marinara, egg, Worcestershire, salt & pepper. Shape into loaf in a shallow baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr. or until meatloaf is done. Drain fat. Spoon remaining marinara over meatloaf & top with remaining fried onions. Make 5-10 min. longer, or until onions are golden.

Enjoy!
&
Happy Halloween!





No comments:

Post a Comment